I may get a few eye rolls when I say this, which I usually do, but there is honestly nothing I would rather do in this life than spend time with my husband and daughter!
Joey and I have been married for eight years and since day one, he has been my best friend. He is the person I confide in, lean on and have fun with! Since cutting back on our spending, one of the things we have had to sacrifice has been date nights. We try to make it a priority to have alone time but it always seems like everything costs so much money!
So, being the person that I am, I was determined to find options for date nights that won’t break our budget! We, for the most part, stick to our budget and don’t stray from the spreadsheet. We have each dollar that we make accounted for which has made such a huge difference in our life financially (a post about our budget will be coming soon). When we decide it is time for a date, we put it in the budget and put it on the calendar!
There are SO many ways to have a night (or day, we love day dates!) together that anyone can afford! I wanted to share the ideas I have come up with because I truly believe that carving out time in your busy life, I feel like we are always busy, to make each other a priority is so important and finances shouldn’t hold you back from doing that!
I hope you find something on this list that you can do with your significant other! Do you have a favorite place to go or date idea? Comment below or e-mail me at email@example.com. xoxo
Date Night Ideas On A Budget
- Romantic dinner at home: This is one of my favorite things to do with Joey! We don’t have a lot of family that live around us so it isn’t super easy to find a babysitter for Olivia. Since we make a menu each week, it is simple to find a new recipe and add it to the grocery list. When Olivia goes to bed, we light some candles, turn the lights down, sit at the table together and have dinner! This is a great way to catch up on life and not spend any extra money!
- Movie night at home: Set up the living room like a movie theater, turn off the lights, pop some popcorn and watch a movie together! There are a few ways you can watch a movie that won’t cost you a ton, way less than going to the movies at least. If you have Netflix definitely browse through there! If not, there is also Red Box, ordering On Demand or renting from iTunes. We love to do this and we switch off and on who gets to pick the movie!
- Go out for dessert: Ice cream, frozen yogurt and brownies… oh my! Who doesn’t love a delicious dessert? I know I certainly do! Going out for dessert is something you can do together that won’t cost a lot of money. You can spend time sitting, enjoying each other and your sweet treats.
- Have a picnic: I love gathering some of our favorite finger foods and spending a beautiful afternoon outside. Go to your local park with a blanket and just spend an hour or two talking and being together! You can also go when the kids are in bed and look at the stars under a blanket!
- Craft night: This is something I have been TRYING to get Joey to do with me forever! Unfortunately, he isn’t into crafts as much as I am. How fun would it be to gather art supplies and create something unique together? You can make anything you want and it doesn’t have to cost a thing if you use supplies you already have! Score!
- Go to a local sporting event: I don’t know about where you live, but where we are there is a local minor league baseball team we like to go see play! We eat before we go so we aren’t spending money at the stadium. Tickets are typically under $20 which isn’t bad for a sports game! We go at least once during the season which doesn’t break the bank!
- Play a game: Grab your favorite games and have a game night! It is so much fun to challenge each other to a game and have some friendly competition! We like to play board games, card games and sometimes even Olivia’s word games haha!
- Mini-golf: Mini-golf is something that you can do as a couple that doesn’t cost a ton of money! You can eat at home and not spend any extra money other than the game. Joey and I are always playing around so we make bets and challenge each other which makes it even more fun!