For as long as I can remember, I have been collecting quotes. Seriously. For years.
When I was younger, I had an entire binder filled with quotes. I would search for them, type them out, print them and store them in this binder. Whenever I was feeling a certain type of way or going through something in school, I would pull out my binder. (Remember, this is a judgement free zone!)
For me, quotes have always made me feel like I wasn’t alone. Like somewhere in the world, at some point in time, someone else felt exactly the same way I did.
And that feeling has been so powerful for me in my life, especially as a mother.
Today, I may not have a binder but I am still slightly obsessed.
One of the ways I like to decompress after a particularly tough day as a parent, other than eat a box of chocolate and cry of course, is to search for quotes on Pinterest.
You know those days I am talking about. No one is listening, not even the dogs. Somehow you burnt the pasta and getting the kids to do their homework is like pulling teeth.
Yup, one of those days.
No matter what you type in or what you need to read, from funny mom memes to inspirational words, there is always something there to comfort you. Words to make you stop for a second and think or help you laugh when all you want to do is quit.
Mama, if you are in the middle of one of those days or are having a difficult time, I want to share with you some quotes that have made a difference for me.
Pick one or more that speak to you. Print them out. Write them down. Tape them to your mirror. Take a step back and really absorb the words.
You are okay and you are not alone!
Here are 30 quotes that every mom needs to read on those difficult days as a parent.
1. “Being a mother is learning about strengths you didn’t know you had and dealing with fears you never knew existed.” – Linda Wooten
2. “One day, all your children will have is pictures of you. Make sure you’re in them. No matter what your hair looks like, your makeup, or your body, they won’t care about any of that, they’ll just want to see you.”
3. “God gave those little children to you Mama – You. No one else can mother them like you can. You may have your work cut off for you, but you’re the one cut out to accomplish it.” – Erin Odom
4. “May your coffee be stronger than your toddler.”
5. “Why hasn’t one of these Pinterest chicks figured out how to put grapes in a crockpot and make wine? It’s like they’re not even trying!” – Inappropriate Mom
6. “Perhaps one day, they’ll understand all the sacrifices she gladly made out of love for them.” – John Mark Green
7. “Silence is golden – unless you have a toddler. In that case, silence is very, very suspicious.” – Anonymous
8. “Motherhood: Because privacy is over-rated.”
9. “Hey you, yeah you. You are doing great, you are enough. Give yourself a break. The kids are going to turn out just fine!” – Katie Bingham Smith
10. “When you haven’t worn makeup in a week and you put on mascara you’re like… move over Beyonce. Mama’s back.”
11. “My kids wanted to know what it was like to be a Mom so I woke them up at 2 am to let them know my sock came off.”
12. “I am doing my best and that is always enough.” – Bold.Brilliant.Beautiful.
13. “Soon, when all is well, you’re going to look back on this period of your life and be so glad that you never gave up.” – Tinybuddha.com
14. “There will be so many times you feel like you’ve failed but in the eyes, heart and mind of your child, you’re Super Mom.” – Stephanie Precourt
15. “Taking care of yourself is part of taking care of your kids.” – CafeMom
16. “I’m NOT going to ask you again. That’s not true. Yes I will. Probably 50 more times. My children have turned me into a serial liar.” – Babyrabies.com
17. “There is no such thing as a perfect parent. So just be a real one.” – Sue Atkins
18. “Pray when you feel like worrying. Give thanks when you feel like complaining. Keep going when you feel like quitting.” – DaveWillis.org
19. “I’m in a dark place right now. Not emotionally. Just that I’m in the closet hiding from my kids.”
20. “Don’t worry. You’re not the only parent to throw a towel down on top of peed on sheets and go back to sleep.” – Mum Problems
21. “YOU are amazing and strong and brave and wonderful. Remember THAT today.” – Findingjoy.net
22. “Repeat after me: I Can Do This!”
23. “You know you’re a mom when you understand why mama bear’s porridge was cold.”
24. “She stood in the storm and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails.”
25. “Some days I amaze myself. Other days I put the laundry in the oven.”
26. “My kids call it yelling when I raise my voice. I call it motivational speaking for the selective listener.” – Lovethispic.com
27. “You’ll have good days, bad days, overwhelming days, too tired days, I’m awesome days, I can’t go on days. And everyday… you’ll still show up.” – Mutusystem
28. “Life is tough my darling, but so are you!” – Stephanie Bennett Henry
29. “Parenting. If you feel crazy, then you’re doing it right.”
30. “Being a mom means… laughing in a fit of hysterics, screaming like a lunatic, crying in sadness, beaming with pride, being frantic with worry, wanting the day to speed up but time to slow down, feeling the need for personal space but also begging for more snuggles… all within a period of 24 hours.”
Do you have a favorite quote??
Is there something you like to do when you are feeling stressed and overwhelmed after a long day with the kids? I would love to hear from you! XOXO